We are seeking an Energy Analyst, who is both a number cruncher and power sector expert. The successful candidate will contribute to a collaborative effort by an ambitious NGO network to transform the power and district heating sector across the European continent, from Turkey to Western Balkans and the EU, away from coal and fossil gas to sustainable renewable energy in Europe.
This position would preferably be based in the Europe Beyond Coal’s secretariat office in Berlin, without ruling out the possibility of home-working from other locations in Europe.
DAY-to-day duties will include
- Produce analysis that tells powerful data stories;
- Track European power plants and power & heating sector data and metrics, including to maintain, update, expand databases and handle data outputs, including in excel;
- Analyse and synthesise trends and findings on power markets for internal and external audiences. This could be via a range of outputs e.g. blogs, briefings, reports, social or traditional media and data visualisations;
- Monitor and analyse energy market developments, and interpret their implications for NGO campaign strategies;
- Proactively seek out new data sources and analysis techniques that can support climate and health campaigning in the power and heating sectors and develop innovative ways to communicate them;
- Collaborate with passionate colleagues across Europe towards the same goal.
Skills & Experience
- Commitment to a healthy, environmentally-friendly and fair society.
- 2+ years of experience in a relevant energy analysis role.
- Fluent in English, ability to communicate clearly and concisely.
- Highly numerate with experience communicating insights from energy data.
- Experience with energy data analysis; excellent knowledge and technical expertise of European energy markets, energy scenarios and modelling as well as conventional and renewable energy technologies.
- Conscientious with keen attention to detail.
- Very good knowledge of VBA and MS Excel or experience with analytical Python modules (such as pandas) or MS Access; experience with SQL.
- Strong interpersonal skills; ability to engage and connect with a broad range of people and work as part of a multi-cultural team.
- Self-starter with strong organisational skills and effective time management.
- NGO work experience.
- Experience developing advanced data visualisations (knowledge of flourish a plus, seaborn or plotly nice-to-haves).
- Experience using analytical tools (Python or R or similar).
- Knowledge of utilities, climate and energy policies, industrial pollution policies.
Please send a short CV and a one-page cover letter in English to: ebcjobs AT beyond-coal.eu by 7 January, typing ‘energy analyst’ in the subject line. Please note that due to a large number of applications, we only reply to candidates who have been short-listed for an interview. The first-round interviews will be via video link in the week of 17 January. Preferable start date: as soon as possible.