We are seeking an Energy Data Analyst, who is both a number cruncher and power sector expert. The successful candidate will contribute to a collaborative effort by an ambitious NGO network to transform the power sector across the European continent, from Turkey to Western Balkans and the EU, away from coal and fossil gas and towards sustainable renewable energy in Europe.
This position should preferably be based in the Europe Beyond Coal secretariat’s office in Berlin, without ruling out the possibility of home-working from other locations in Europe.
DAY-to-day duties will include
- Produce analysis that tells powerful data stories.
- Track European coal plants and power & heating sector data and metrics, including maintaining, updating, expanding access database and handling data with excel.
- Analyse and synthesise trends and findings on power markets for internal and external audiences. This could be via a range of outputs e.g. blogs, briefings, reports, social or traditional media and data visualisations.
- Monitor and analyse energy market developments, and interpret their implications for NGO campaign strategies.
- Proactively seek out new data sources and analysis techniques that can support climate and health campaigning in the power sector and develop innovative ways to communicate them.
- Collaborate with passionate colleagues across Europe towards the same goal.
Skills & Experience
- Commitment to a healthy, environmentally-friendly and fair society.
- 2+ years of experience in a relevant data analysis role.
- Fluent in English, ability to communicate clearly and concisely.
- Highly numerate with experience communicating insights from large datasets.
- Experience with energy data analysis; excellent knowledge and technical expertise of European energy markets, energy scenarios and modelling as well as conventional and renewable energy technologies.
- Conscientious with keen attention to detail.
- Very good knowledge of MS Access, MS Excel and VBA; very comfortable with programming complex queries and dealing with large data sets; experience with SQL and HTML.
- Strong interpersonal skills; ability to engage and connect with a broad range of people and work as part of a multi-cultural team.
- Self-starter with strong organisational skills and effective time management.
- NGO work experience.
- Experience using analytical packages in Python, R or similar.
- Knowledge of utilities, climate and energy policies, industrial pollution policies.
Please send a short CV and a one-page cover letter in English to Emilia Ochoa (emilia AT beyond-coal.eu) by 30 June 2021, putting ‘Energy Data Analyst’ in the subject line. Please note that because we expect a large number of applications, we only reply to candidates who have been short-listed for an interview. The first-round interviews will be via video link on 19-21 July, and the second round will be on the week of 26 July. Preferable start date: 1 September 2021.